Friday, September 23, 2011

DIY: Go ahead and ask for ideas; it all about the conversation!


I wanted to highlight a conversation I had with Linde who contacted me through our face book page. The key to this exchange is not my ideas or what comes from them but rather it is about reaching out to a community to see what might be possible to improve the curb appeal of my home.

From Linde:  Tim. Thank you for calling me, I was helping a client.  I have attached a photo of my home.  I have recently put on new roof, gutters shutters and lighting, as well as painted the lower part a taupe. The accents are in a dark bronze (lamps, and gutters) I have no idea how to paint or what to do with it to add some pizzazz.  I noticed the window enhancements you offer are for other style garage doors where the windows are higher.  What Ideas do you have for making the house pop with some character?  I don’t like the big lamp above the front door it looks pretty plain.  Also the front screen door, not sure what color to paint it as well.    

From Tim:  Linde,
Here are our thoughts based on what we see regarding curb appeal ideas.

1. The large evergreen is overpowering for the house and draws away from other key elements like the trim, etc. Would you consider replacing that and putting in an area with lower profile, hearty plants?
2. You have 2 colors that stand out with contrast; the front door which looks like a maroon in the photo and the beige paint you have around it.
Both stand out and provide great contrast but.....
3. The balance of the trim is black and also provides a contrast but is not in harmony from our take with the front door area.
4. We would love to see you paint the shutters in a beige color as you did the front door area. Contrast but softens the lines of the home.
5. Continue with a brass or bronze theme with all of your trim pieces for lighting. (Picks up the earth tones in the brick you have and great contrast with white.
6. Your garage door if open to replacement would look great in a Clopay long panel Gallery series door with insulation. (I know Lincoln has got to be cold for a few months). Use their Sandstone color and match your shudders, etc with that color.
7. I noticed you have blinds in the garage door so how important is light to you in the garage door? You could use our overlays on the gallery door top panel if light is not an issue but curb appeal is.
8. Top off the look of the garage door with our Bronze signature set of hardware to finish the look.

I really had a gut feeling that the front door color would look great on your shutters and pewter finish on lighting fixtures would tie in great to your roof and gutter system that are black. Might be a bit bold but I offer it up as an idea. If you prefer that idea go with a white door and our pewter finish on decorative hardware for the garage.

I have included some close up images of Bronze and Pewter in our offerings so you can shop for products with true metal finish qualities as you move forward with your proj

What ever you decide to complete be comfortable with how you view your home when you pull in everyday.

Let us know what you decide and on behalf of the Coach House Accents team we appreciate the opportunity to be a part of your curb appeal improvement process.
Best Regards,
Tim

From Linds:  Tim, I have not yet read your email through, but just to tell you thank you for all the research upfront!  Wow.  Clarify that the trim, shutters and gutters are in a deep espresso brown, and does look like that more so than black.  The lower house color is a very complimentary taupe and
The roof color is the mix of the two.  Does that help clarify?  

I want to thank Linde for letting me post our dialogue on today’s blog as an example of how ideas and eventually DIY projects get done with the outcome we truly love. What suggestions might you have to share? I look forward to seeing the progress Linde makes on here great home.
Linde home.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment